Did you know that God wants to speak to you – but many times we are not receptive? Job 33:14 says:
“God may speak in one way, or in another, Yet man does not perceive it.”
The problem is not that God does not speak. The problem is that sometimes we don’t perceive God speaking because we are not receptive or perceptive. Sometimes we are just too preoccupied with other things to hear His voice. We have communication clutter.
Let me give you five simple steps to clear up the clutter.
1. BEGIN WITH THE RIGHT ATTITUDE Reverence, expectancy, humility and obedience are all key attitudes in hearing God’s voice. God wants us to have the right attitude as we seek Him.
“Seek the Lord, all you meek of the earth, Who have upheld His justice. Seek righteousness, seek humility.” Zephaniah 2:3 (NKJV)
2. SET ASIDE TIME TO TALK AND LISTEN TO GOD Jesus set aside a special time to pray. Here is the pattern that He used.
"Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went to a solitary place, where he prayed." Mark 1:35
3. CHOOSE A SPECIAL PLACE TO TALK AND LISTEN TO GOD Not only did He set aside a special time He also set aside a special place where He could be alone with the Father.
"Jesus left the city and went, as he usually did, to the Mount of Olives ... to pray." Luke 22:39 (GN)
4. READ THE BIBLE God speaks through the Bible. That is one reason it is called The Word of God. How can we expect to hear God’s voice if we don’t read His Word? In fact in 2 Timothy chapter 3 we find.
“All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV)
5. LISTEN FOR GOD’S VOICE "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10
May God Bless, Pastor Tom